Founded in 1974, North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a leading nonprofit publisher in the areas of alternative health, spirituality, nutrition/natural foods, social sciences/lifestyles, and martial arts. NAB’s mission is to spread timeless wisdom, educate its audiences with the intent of broadening personal, spiritual, and planetary transformation, and develop new ideas. NAB is distributed to the book trade by Random House. We are seeking a Publicity Coordinator to join our team. We are located in Berkeley, CA.
The role of the Publicity Coordinator is to spread the word about the content that North Atlantic Books (NAB) publishes and grow the audience of its readers. This includes creation of publicity and marketing campaigns for given titles and/or genres of books; developing and maintaining strong relationships within NAB’s given communities, including media, other nonprofits, NAB authors and their networks, and individual readers; soliciting publicity for NAB authors; and working with other marketing staff to manage NAB’s online presence through the NABCommunities social media sites.
- Lead communications efforts in developing and implement marketing, publicity and outreach strategies for NAB titles, its authors, new imprints, and NAB programs to grow the audiences reading NAB content.
- Act as primary publicity/outreach contact for frontlist and backlist titles in the genres of alternative health, somatics, diet/nutrition/natural foods, martial arts, body/mind/spirit, self-help, and culture (literary arts, sustainability). For more details about our genres, go to www.NABCommunities.com.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with print, online and broadcast media, as well as with authors and NAB’s communities of readers.
- Compose and distribute targeted outreach (pitches, press releases, and press kits) to solicit book reviews, features, giveaways, and author interviews; research new media outlets and marketing opportunities.
- Liaise with authors to provide support in the sales and marketing process and provide guidance in helping authors interact with NAB’s marketing campaigns for their titles.
- Working with marketing team, facilitate the upkeep of NAB Communities social media sites by implementing marketing strategies to increase community interactivity. This includes: new site content and new media opportunities; coordination with author, staff, and blogger contributors; interviewing guests for NAB Communities Podcasts; etc.
- Assist with the management of online marketing and social networking profiles including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Evolver, and YouTube Channel.
- Present titles at seasonal pre-sales and sales presentations to Random House reps.
- As a marketing team member, handle various sales & marketing tasks including creating marketing plans for Title Information Sheets; providing designers with book cover comps to help guide cover designs; copyediting marketing materials; providing Random House with publicity updates and sales and marketing materials; and additional related tasks as needed.
- Represent NAB at shows in outreach efforts to further promote our educational content.
- Work with publicity interns, and assist with managing their workflow at NAB as well as the workflow of outside publicists.
- 2-4 years relevant job experience in publicity, most especially book promotion or marketing books
- Bachelors degreeProven promotional writing experience, preferably promoting books
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Highly motivated and high level of initiative
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and utilize resources to execute tasks within a deadline oriented environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Commitment to continuous process improvement initiatives and ability to solve problems creatively
- Excellent social media skills, including facebook, twitter, Youtube and how to use them for promotional purposes
- Comfortable in a Mac-based work environment
- Knowledge of North Atlantic Books’ categories a plus
This is a full-time position, 40 hours a week. Salary commensurate with experience. North Atlantic Books is an EOE. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com