Berrett-Koehler is an independent publisher dedicated to an ambitious mission: Creating a World that Works for All. Through our innovative books in business, current affairs, and personal growth, we strive to challenge conventional thinking, introduce new ideas, and foster positive change on individual, organizational, and societal levels. We offer a work environment that is participative, flexible, and creative.
We are seeking a Production Director to coordinate the design, editing, production, printing, and e-book creation of approximately forty new titles a year. The Production Director will also supervise the company’s content archive, and will participate in the management team that manages the company’s overall business.
– Coordinate the production of about forty new books a year, working with outside designers, production managers, copyeditors, illustrators, indexers, proofreaders, printers, and e-book services.
– Art-direct the book covers. Berrett-Koehler has a uniquely participatory art direction process that involves authors, marketing staff, and outside reviewers to develop effective packaging for the books.
– Supervise budget and schedule for all book project, and monitor vendors for their performance.
– Monitor quality of products, troubleshoot printing or e-book production problems.
– Help marketing department develop well-designed and on-brand marketing materials in print and on line.
– Maintain and improve the company archive of current and backlist book content.
– Coordinate print buying for reprints.
– Monitor printers for environmental performance.
– Supervise two to three production staff, guide their work, and help develop their professional abilities for long-term success.
– Minimum three years’ experience in non-fiction book production environment.
– Knowledge of technical requirements of printing and book manufacturing.
– Knowledge of computer tools used in book production, including InDesign, Quark XPress, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat. Knowledge of Word, Excel, and Filemaker highly desirable.
– Familiarity with American non-fiction book editing standards, including Chicago Manual of Style.
– Proven success in publication project management.
FOR MORE DETAILS
Please see a more comprehensive job description here.
– Salary $95,817.92
– Health, Dental, Disability and Life insurance
– Flexible Spending Account plan, 401K and ESOP
To be considered, you must send resume and a detailed cover letter (several pages long if necessary), stating why you are interested in the position, your qualifications, your salary requirements, how you have been successful in similar jobs (please be specific about your accomplishments), and your personal qualities that account for your success. We are interested in the appearance and presentation of your materials as well as their content. Please send them to:
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
Attn: Ginger Winters
1333 Broadway, Suite 1000
Oakland, CA 94612
Put in subject line: Production Director
See our website for further information: http://www.bkconnection.com
Berrett-Koehler Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.