P.O. Box 597
San Francisco, CA 94104-0597
The Book Promotion Forum
CALL FOR APPLICANTS
$2,000 Available for 2014 Butterfield Scholarship Grant
You Now Have Until May 14 to Apply for the Butterfield Scholarship!
What is the Carol C. Butterfield Scholarship?
A grant established by friends and family of the late book publicist Carol C. Butterfield to honor her memory and to continue her efforts to help others develop their careers in book publishing.
Where does the scholarship money come from?
The Butterfield Scholarship Grant is administered by the Book Promotion Forum through an endowment managed by the Community Foundation for Monterrey County and must be used within one year or being awarded.
Who is eligible to apply for the Butterfield Scholarship?
Any resident of Northern California (defined as Monterrey north) OR involved in an internship or taking classes in Northern California (if you aren’t a resident).
How can I use the $2,000 scholarship money?
In one of three ways.
• To apply to the cost of attending the Denver Publishing Institute, Yale Publishing Course, New York University’s Summer Publishing Institute, Columbia University’s Publishing Course or another book publishing program.
• To finance a book marketing, sales, or publicity internship with a Northern California publisher, distributor, or bookseller
• To take a class in book publishing, marketing, publicity, sales, or communications.
How is the Winner Selected?
A panel of judges from the San Francisco Bay Area book community will review applications and the Scholarship Grant recipient(s) will be publicly recognized at a Book Promotion Forum event and asked to contribute an article for the e-Newsletter.
How Do I Apply?
Send the following by snail mail or email by May 14, 2014:
1. One-page resume with educational/professional background and information about any previous book publishing experience
2. One-page description of how you plan to use the scholarship, how it will help with your professional development, financial need, and a statement about your goals in publishing.
3. Two professional or educational letters of recommendation.
Butterfield Scholarship Application Committee
c/o Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 650
San Francisco, CA 94104-2916
Please do not hesitate to email Helena Brantley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 510.350.7822 with any questions about eligibility.